Wednesday 19 September 2012

Faffing about.

It's been a funny old few weeks.  We had our summer holiday in France during the first two weeks of August and since our return, for one reason or another, there has been very little sailage. One day I took my father in law out for an afternoon potter around the harbour; including a picnic with family on Brownsea island.   The trip didn't start too well as when we got to the boat the cockpit had several inches of rain water in it.  I tried clearing it with various tactics but eventually had to close the seacocks and remove the pipes.   They were completely blocked with some organic matter... looked and smelt disgusting.
Anyway, that out of the way and we set of for pottery pier.  The was very little wind and it was hard to make headway so after a while we started the engine,  once up near the town and out of the lee of the island a useful breeze picked up and we were able to make way under sail again.   
The anchor was dropped just off pottery pier and we inflated the tender, it's quite a small inflatable for two gents but we managed admirably.  


We had our picnic while fending off a hungry peacock.   Time to head back to Ciao Bella and as we where deflating the tender a large motor boat dropped anchor next to us.  The next time  I looked up the motor boat was drifting past us towards the shore, I hailed the skipper to let him know his anchor was dragging.  He repositioned and set the anchor properly as we pulled up the hook and set course for EDSC.   

Everything was going swimmingly until I grounded half way across the harbour..  I'd never worried about the depth around here before so was taken completely by surprise.



The real kick in the teeth was that my super dooper NASA duet depth sounder was telling me that there was 1.4m under the boat even while stuck on the bottom... some things not right :~)




Anyway we eventually made back to the mooring with out any further upsets.   That was the sum total of Augusts sailing.  I now have some time free and it looks like the weathers going to be reasonable so this weekend I'll be off to Yarmouth and the following few days I'll drift around the Solent.  This will be the last blast of the season so it better happen :-)

1 comment: