Saturday 28 February 2015

Outboard Electrical Connector

Another quick job, which took all day, ticked off.
I thought fitting the Bulgin connectors would only take a few minutes... Wrong. It started so well,  when I removed the old socket from the deck the cable was still live, result, I thought this would mean I'd just have to fit the socket and plug and be done with it. 
Checking the clearance for the new connectors

The old socket was surface mounted but the new one has a tail which goes through the GRP. I needed to bore a hole for this tail so used a hole saw and made a lovely hole... Bugger, I'd put the wrong size bit in, which if you use a drill is no problem but for a hole saw  is a pain.

Using a socket over the auger to centralise the hole saw.

I did come up with a neat way of restarting a larger saw.  I found a deep socket, see pic above,  which was close to the size of the first hole. It needs to be a deep reach socket to ensure that the drill bit doesn't stick through, as you need to hold that end while it's drilling :)   It worked a treat and I was back on track.
Back at the engine end I needed to do a little repair to the internal wiring before fitting the plug, which went on easily.


Having had a proper look at the cable it was obvious that it would need replacing, the copper on the neutral line was turning black and even when I trimmed it back it was no better.  Time to rip it out back to the electrical panel.  The new length was soon in place but actually making the connections and getting it all back together took a long time.  And when it was it didn't work.  Turned out it was just a fuse that I'd blown with my clumsiness.  Glad to have got it done as it was getting dark, cold, windy and wet.

Socket finally  fitted a wired up, electrical board back in place and kettle on :).



No comments:

Post a Comment