Saturday 27 October 2018

Seven year itch




First things first... where have I been for the last two years.  The answer is right here but I haven't done much sailing.  Last year Ciao Bella remained on my front garden  while I tried to get my priorities sorted out.  I did get away for a week with my friend on his corribee, which was a bit of a chuckle.
Ciao Bella launched mid season
This year I was fortunate enough to get a heavily subsidised mooring through my work, so Ciao Bella now resides on a swinging mooring during the summer and gets a pontoon berth throughout the winter.  Hopefully I will get some great Autumn / winter sails in this year.  Despite this, she was dropped in late in the season, at the end of June and pressed into action the very next day.
Our annual summer cruise had been planned for a while, so I found myself heading East in the company of Lapwing.  We planned to go to Chichester again but fate dealt Lapwing a cruel hand.   Our first stop was In Cowes, We tied up to a visitor pontoon near East Cowes sailing club.  Not the greatest spot as we couldn't find a way out. We had to paddle across the river and and find somewhere to stash the coracles before throwing ourselves on the mercy of the Cowesite publicans.
The next day we set off East again, the wind was fairly none existent as we left the Medina. We drifted for a while then motored.  Eventually a breeze started to fill in and we managed to sail properly. After making good time it looked like we were going to be able to press on to Emsworth.  At Portsmouth harbour the wind, unforecast,  came in fast and furious.  I was hanging on to Ciao Bella and cleared Portsmouth harbour entrance. now in a less busy bit of water, I was able to heavy to and reef.  When I looked back Lapwing was dropping his sails right in the harbour entrance.  The wind had been to much and Lapwings Deck / Hull joint had failed, pulling the deck clean off along a good section of the starboard side.
Mast down at Haslar
We motored into Haslar marina a dropped the mast.  The cruise was effectively over but it didn't mean the fun was over. We took the ferry to Gunwharf Quay in the evening and grabbed some food, in search of something a little more interesting we stumbled into a pub right opposite the Warrior.. a quality night ensued.. Pheonix nights meet Benidorm springs to mind. Karioki night along with the full cast... There was even the obligatory hangbags at dawn scuffle.
The next day we motored back to Lymington, where another club member joined us, then back to Poole the day after.
Lapwing motoring back in company
The momentum slowed again after that and that was just about it for this year.  I only manged to get out for two or three short harbour sails but they were very enjoyable.

Rarely see Poole harbour so empty

Evening sails are much easier with a pontoon

There should be no excuses but having aquired another classic car which needed work and being short staffed at work during our busiest time, it just didn't come together  this year.
The offending car which has sucked away my sailing time

Photo:
'Comme Ci Comme Ca' as she was seven years ago
Facebook reminded me this morning that I have now owned Ciao Bella for seven years.... Woohoo.
So it would have been rude not go down and say happy Anniversary.

Celebratory anniversary beer
It was F5 gusting F7 so just had a tidy up.. brewed up a cuppa and had some soup.... Who am I kidding.. it calmed down enough to get out for a quick blast around the harbour.
Although reefed, the wind did pick up again and discretion once again became the better part of valour and the motor went on and the sails came down.

So onto the future..  There is no seven year itch, apart from messing with fibreglass.  I have no intention of chopping Ciao Bella in for a more glamorous model. I have couple of projects in mind and also plan to continue sailing through the winter, so hopefully the blog should pick up again.

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you on the blog again...! Sorry to read about Lapwing.. she all fixed now??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, not the last time I checked. She's back on the owners drive and stripped out. We came up with a plan to use extended stainless chain plates from under the anchor points down the side of the hull but I'm not sure how far he got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame.. price of boats these days he might be better off just breaking her and selling the bits and getting a new boat.. also less work.. buyers market out there.. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh finally after checking on here every week for the last god knows how long your finally back on here . please don't keep us waiting so long next time... its good to have you back

    ReplyDelete