Sunday 20 November 2011

First impressions

Sunday morning, she looks a bit sorry.
Having Ciao Bella home gave me my first opportunity to assess just what I have taken on, I am under no illusion that she doesn't require a great deal of work but it is only when you have time to clear out all the mess and really get to see the nitty gritty that you can fully appreciate what needs doing.

A first glimpse of Ciao Bella


Lack of care showing on her woodwork and fittings

Rudder pintle is broken and requires some investigation

Sails are all generally quite good and just require a good clean

Genoa requires new UV strip.

Seacocks... what Seacocks!!!
Today was spent sorting out what I have, what's good, what's not.  The Bilges were full of rain water which has been coming in through the broken Mushroom vent and the bolt holes for the pullpit which is not fitted on the starboard side. The storage under the Starboard quarter berth was also full of water which was coming in through the bolt holes for the missing Stantion. As a result most of the wood inside needs replacing or repairing.

The seacocks just arn't there.  The cockpit drains just go straight to skin fittings that's one of the first jobs to do. 
The Sails actually look pretty good.  The Genoa needs a new sacraficial strip, I have no idea how much this will cost but much cheaper than a new sail.. I hope :~)
I cleaned the worst of the muck of her decks and superstructure with a broom and watering can, there seemed to be lot of milky stuff coming off the paint work.  It looks a million time better already.
Roger, another local Hurley 20 owner, popped round to see her.  It's alway interseting to compare and discuss things with other owners. Roger has the mooring next to me so will be great to bring them both back up to scratch and have two Hurley 20's side by side on the water.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Phil, Looks a great project to me. Very similar to SEawitch when I first got her home, lots of rain ingress, soft timber inside, green wood outside and decks dirty. Thing is you have a great boat underneath all that suoerficial grime and I will look forward to seeing you progress with her restoration. At my current rate of progress you will be in the water before me...Good luck - Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, by the way I could not see video it said private. Is that correct?

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy, I'm sure that once Seawitch is finished, there won't be a better Alacrity anywhere. Ref the videos, I've just changed the settings so should now play. I'm not used to Youtube yet.
    How are you getting on with Seawitch?

    ReplyDelete