Wednesday 18 September 2013

Mirror takes another slow step forward



Having not been on the boat for a while may not be good for me but it's certainly good for the Mirror dinghy.  What started off a a quick project boat which required a couple of weekends work to get it back on the water has dragged out to nearly a year and it's still not finished.. As the temperature was ok this evening, I broke out the West epoxy that I had bought at the boat show and set about repairing the centre board case to hull joint.  




The old joint had looked good until I started scraping off the old varnish the other month.  I'm not sure if the old joint had been made with epoxy or polyester resin, either way it hadn't bonded to the wood and pretty well just pulled away in one lump.  



I knocked it back until there was enough clean wood to bond to woven tape, I then cleaned the surface back with sandpaper and wiped the whole area over with acetone.  



The battens down each side have sharp edges, I took these edges off to help the tape adhere.  The West system mixes and spreads easily, soaking into the tape was remarkably easy as well. I made up 36ml in the first batch, this didn't look a lot when I was mixing it up but it was plenty to do the whole if the centre board case joint and I didn't need to mix any more.


I am genuinely getting close to finishing the Mirror, just in time for winter :)  All that is left to do now is prepare the wood for varnish and apply the varnish.  It will be great to get out and give it a go :0))

No comments:

Post a Comment