Sunday 27 October 2013

Haul out

Well the end of the season has arrived with a bang.... Ciao Bella is safely ashore as we wait for the worst storm since 1987 to hit.
I did it the easy way this year, Salterns had a special offer on hoist outs this year and I couldn't bring myself to go wading around upto my neck at Baiter park.   Paul and myself booked for the same morning, it's easier if we help each other.  The first lift was booked for 11am with the second at half past.  Fortunately they were flexible as we were a little late getting there.  Not much to say about the lift out, except it was a doddle. There is a wee vid clip below (It starts with Pauls Corribee then switches to Ciao Bella, just for continuity of the process).
Despite using the cheapest antifoul the wetted area seemed remarkably clean, it looks like I'll have to raise the boot top again, she's had a head start for Movember :)

Once out we had to concentrate on getting the masts down and strapping the boat down ready for trailering.   Both went remarkably easily considering the wind.  We didn't have A frames, just used the roller furler to steady the decent.
Paul had a posse ready and waiting at his house to help push the trailer up his drive, we then flew back to Salterns to pick up Ciao Bella.  By 4pm both boat were safely back at their respective winter homes. That's one heck of a relief with this lot coming...

6 comments:

  1. Very slick operation. That is a very clever hoist they have what club is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doh...Salterns. I should read the blog but always tempted by a boaty video...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks Andy, I'm the same... books without pictures are no good to me ;)
    That's the first time I've had a boat lifted out and it is sooo much easier. However the cost in Poole can be prohibitive when you're on a tiny budget like mine. It was such a good deal that I couldn't turn it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have weakened the last couple of year and had my boat lifted out at the end of season as well. The slip at Baiter is at such a shallow angle it can be a nightmare, and the wind is always wrong. Parkstone Bay lift me out onto my trailer in about 10 minutes, without me having to raise a finger. Some things are worth paying for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Phil - what are you up to then .. all very quiet here, which makes me suspicious! :o)

    ReplyDelete