Saturday 12 October 2013

Out on a grown up boat

Omega in Dartmouth

Last weekend I had the chance to crew on Omega, a Harmony 34, sailing around Torbay.   I couldn't turn it down..  Roger picked me up early on Saturday and we made our way to Torquay.  We met Nick, the owner down at the marina and readied the boat for sail. There was absolutely no wind as we set off and I thought we'd have to motor everywhere.
Motoring in light airs
Eventually the wind filled in and we made our way around Berry head towards Dartmouth.  As we approached the entrance to the river Dart Nick Suggested that we stayed out in Start bay, what a good call. We had a magical hour or so just messing about on the water.

Nick taking a rare turn at the helm.

The Harmony has a wheel in place of a tiller, I have to say it took some getting used to. Initially I made some school boy errors; turning it the wrong way and struggling to find the central position.  Once I'd got the hang of it it was a dream to helm. We reluctantly made for the harbour, the Devon coastline and the entrance to Dartmouth are absolutely stunning.

Our very own Keith Floyd

Rog took command of the Galley, which was great as it meant we'd eat well.  It's fabulous being able to walk around stood bolt upright on a boat... not something that I am used to :)
Dartmouth is beautiful at anytime of the year but just out of season is my favourite time.  There are some wonderful places to eat and drink, I suggested the Anzac street Bistro as I had been there before and we weren't disappointed.  Great food, reasonably priced and a nice atmosphere with Simon and Aga as great hosts.  We then strolled of to the Seven Stars for Rog to check out his old stomping grounds :)
Back at the boat and we couldn't help but notice that there were pirates every where.. One was even taking a large open wooden motor boat out.. I couldn't help but think he'd already been on the Rum ration.

Flying the Hurley flag
The Sunday morning was heralded with a cuppa and the smell bacon and eggs.   We had a very chilled start to the day and eventually got the boat ready to head back to Torquay.  We had a downwind run back around the head and made great time. All too soon we were back in the marina and packing up to come home.
A huge thanks to Nick and Rog for inviting me along.  I had a great time.. Proper boats are fantastic,Omega feels more stable (because it is) faster (because it is) points better (erm, because it's not a bilge keeler) and roomier... however I have no plans to sell Ciao Bella and move up to big boat ownership.  Aside from the costs Ciao Bella does everything I want a boat to do,  reasonable performance, tough & safe, easily manageable single handed, I can get into shallow creeks and rivers,  cheap to buy, run and keep and I don't have to travel to far to feel like I've had an adventure.

Thanks again Nick, and if you still want cross channel crew, let me know... I'll bring the Pastis instead of the Pasties :)

3 comments:

  1. So that's both of us out on grown up boats recently! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great weekend we had, made better by excellent company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's Bella, Phil?? Out of the water now?

    ReplyDelete