Monday 25 August 2014

So... Where have I been?!

 Hi, Sorry that it's been so long since my last post, cue bugles.   Time to catch up.   Holiday season always catches me out.  We've had a couple of glorious summer weeks in Dittisham (Ditsum apparently) but unfortunately without Ciao Bella; I've also had a couple of trip out as well so will post a few blogs in a short space of time... sorry :)
I'll start with the holiday as although I didn't take Ciao Bella there were a few boats of note included.
Pilgrim BM45 - 
This was a stunning restored Brixham trawler which is available for pleasure trips.  I went with my father law for a half day, which cost the princely sum of £25 each.  £55 would get a full day and that's what I'll be doing next time I go to Devon.

I was a little sceptical that it would be a proper sailing experience.  However it was a hands on, if you wanted to, proper sail.  

 The tiller is enormous and takes some effort to move, during the tack one of the crew got stittle over by it.  As the wind was a little lively and there were youngsters on board the main sail didn't go up but we were still plodding along at 5 or 6 knots, not bad.  Cream teas were served out in Start bay, there were plenty left over as some of the passengers were looking a little green.. I guess sailing wasn't their thing :)

The Kingswear Castle:

The Kingswear Castle is the only coal fired steam paddle boat left in the UK.  There is no better way to see the river Dart than on this.  She was launch in 1924 but retained the engine from the previous Kingswear Castle, which is now rotting in the mud half way up the river.
 As you would expect, every thing is either polished, painted or varnished within an inch of its life.

The engine is open to view and is pristine, great to see it in operation.  Taking an early sail we had to imagine we were in another time zone to make it acceptable to be drinking G&T's on the deck. ;-p  Apparently the ladies loo is very decorative and is well photographed but I refrained.

The river is wonderful place, alive with wild life, boats an history.  I took a million photos but this one of a Crabber making heavy work of tacking up the river was one of my favourites.

As well as the gloriously maintained boat of all shapes, sizes and vintages, I am always taking by the decaying hulks which seem to inhabit many of our rivers and harbours.  I often wonder who's paying for these, obviously once loved, vessels to be here. 



I'd say this Clinker built yacht is well and truly past redemption but it's certainly not on it's own on the river Dart.

The same boat close up, peeping through the planks, I could see that the toilet and toilet paper still installed... didn't feel the need to use it though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment