Saturday 19 July 2014

Wacky Blacky rides again



Wacky Blacky wallows at the club.
Over the last few weeks I have been cursing this dinghy every time I walk down the garden, as it has been taking up valuable space as well as looking untidy.   I decided that it was time to either finish it or move it on.
While it had been sat a couple of bits had deteriorated.  Although I'd painted it previously the taped seems on each side had split and were letting water get under, also the rubbing strakes had gone soft and needed some attention.
I used a flap wheel on the angle grinder to wizz through the damaged resin and tape... I was in no mood for tip toeing around.  Surprisingly it didn't end in a bonfire and I was soon able to retape and epoxy the join.  I think it had probably originally been made with poly resin and it was loaded on really thick so had split.

Another coat of paint

The next task was the rubbing strakes,  they had both gone soft where the rain water had been running over them.  I used some of my recycled hardwood, I think these were old window frames, to make the new bits and let them in.  I quite happy with the results.
New bit of rubbing strake.

Finally the hull needed another coat of paint, the rails were coated with epoxy and varnish and the whole of the decks and interior were given two coats of varnish.
Then last night I took her down to the club for her bum wetting session... all went well,  I tipped myself out on the slipway but I don't think anyone noticed :)  It was very light winds and I had not been in a dinghy for a long long time.  I started to get the hang of it after a while.  Thing seeming much easier when the breeze blew just a little stronger.  I was out for a couple of hours before the shock cord on the rudder snapped so I had to call it a day.  When I jumped out at the club I noticed the wheels were still attached to the skeg.. Do'H...once again I don't think anyone noticed!   So I have a couple of jobs to do.. Replace the downhaul shock cord on the rudder and the centre board case was leaking slightly so needs resealing.  Apart from that all seemed well.  
I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with dinghy sailing again.

Ready to put away again


Wheels made by A.B.T products in Ross on Wye 3656 maybe the product number.


2 comments:

  1. Well done, she looks good. I have a soft spot for Mirror's having had one many years ago. Epoxy will have cured many ills. polyester resins don't really stick to wood. I think most old Mirrors are held together by their paint.
    How do you fit wheels to the skeg? I have a fixed wheel on my dinghy and I am not sure it will survive much sand/mud ingress. A detachable set of wheels might be an answer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julian, Sorry for the delay, I thought I'd responded to this but it must have failed to load. The wheels came with the boat so I am not sure where they came from. They attach with a sprung fitting through the skeg. The material is a rubbery plastic which flexes so doesn't strain the skeg. I'll have a look and see if there is a manufacturers name or part number on it. Cheers Phil

    ReplyDelete