Wednesday 29 October 2014

Last of the Summer Wine

With the lift out arranged for Monday, it seemed a shame not to try and ring out just a tad more from this years sailing season.   Paul was taking Lapwing out at the same time so we planned a mini cruise close to home.
It was a lazy start, getting to the yard around 11am and after showing a prospective new member around the club we were ready to set sail by noon.
Leaving the harbour with a bit of a chop.
Our first stop was to be Studland with a Coracle expedition to the Banks Arms.  It was a bit choppy in the harbour with wind over tide.  I had to hold while the Chain ferry crossed the entrance but once in the Swash Channel the surface was calm. With the tide flowing out I saw nearly 7 knots on the GPS.
Moored and paddling
We got to Studland within an hour, inflated the coracles and paddled ashore and plodded our way up to the Banks Arms.  Despite it being nearly the end of Oct the weather was good enough for sitting out in the garden.. in fact because they had a fire going inside it was too hot in the bar.  
Banks Arms at Studland
 After sampling some of their finest Ales we made our way back to the boats,  we had to wait a short while for the tide to turn so we rafted up and had a cuppa before heading back.
Back to Poole
It was getting dark as we re-entered the harbour and absolute pitch black by the time we reached Poole Quay.  

After an evening of food, beer, pub quiz, pool and juke boxes I headed back to the boat while Paul went home to a comfortable warm bed;  who cares, I was afloat and ready to sail at 6:30.   The lift out was booked for 12:30 so I figured I could fit in another little tout of the harbour.  Sadly my iphone battery is about as useful as an ash tray on the pulpit so I have no photos for you.
I left the marina just as the sun was peeking over Sandbanks, the breeze was quite strong and gusting but that didn't put me off. I sailed over to Brownsea to brew up a coffee before making my way around South deep, it's a privilege to be out in the harbour early with no one around... especially out in the quite zone, it could be any year in any century.
I made my way to Pottery Pier for another brew up before it was time for me to make the last leg over to Salterns.. making a quick detour to check on the tender first.

The lift out went without a hitch, Ciao Bella and Lapwing were out on their trailers by 1 o'clock.  We got the masts down and tucked up at home by 5pm,  Erm to keep the theme going we nipped out for a pint to celebrate  :)

3 comments:

  1. Cracking year - helped no end by the weather - more next year, please!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that.. could do with a nice consistant westerley F3 or F4 and calm sea state around mid June so that I can finally get to France and back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 11 hours on a 30 footer (I'm told) so you'd want more than a 3.. :o)

    ReplyDelete