Thursday 2 April 2015

Masthead lamp

The weather, although not exact raining, is damp and not ideal for epoxy. I decided to have a go at the masthead lamp. I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment but Hayho. 
First I needed to decide where to mount it.  The instructions come with a guide to angle of spread and lux %. For the height.
Out came the calculator and some trigonometry revision. Anything over 5m from the deck would give me a pool of light to cover the deck and into the water. Should help with late night mooring exploits. 



I sealed everything I could with RTV sealant and mounted the unit on the mast with rivets.  The old lamp cable was still good so I just pulled that through before starting. 
I soldered all the connections within the unit to keep the moisture out and maintain good conductivity. 


The unit is mounted and sealed. The deck light part is open to the elements,  I haven't time to faff with this so I'll just have to see how it goes. 
  1. Epoxy and paint rudder blade.
  2. Make tiller bracket. (I have material, waiting for a friend to bore a 25mm hole in it).
  3. Epoxy seal and varnish the bench hatches.
  4. Fit Masthead light.- Done. 
  5. Stem head fitting needs removing and rebedding.
  6. Clean hull and Antifoul.

1 comment:

  1. How about gluing a disc of clear plastic over the deck light opening - the stuff you used to get on shirt boxes, salad trays that kind of thing.... sandwich it between the lamp fitting and the plastic surround....??

    ReplyDelete