Sunday 12 April 2015

Rudder finished and some other bits.



Well the rudder and tube is finally finished and fitted.  I'm really happy with it, It's pretty substantial and should last the daily dry out.  Yes Ciao Bella's mooring only dries once as there is a high water stand in Poole.

The tube components were bedded in sealant, left to cure and then tightened up.  The nut has plenty of thread locker on it and the whole lot has been splodged over with primer and will be anti fouled.. I don't see this nut shaking loose, and even if it does it can't go anywhere.

I spent far too long knocking up this box, I could have had the anti foul on in the time it took to do this.  Never mind, it is something I've wanted to do since the first time I took crew on-board and watched them kick the compass off the bulkhead :)

It is shaped to be able to slip under the compass while it is fitted.  The base is raised to allow water to get under and reach the scuppers.  It needs some channels opening at the base to allow a good flow to the scupper,  a bit of sanding / linishing and finally coating with something... Not sure whether varish or paint yet.
Anyway I will be nice to have somewhere to drop a bottle of drink, sandwiches, phone or anything else which ends up rattling around the deck while out and about.

Other news... The stem head fitting has been tightened down but the forward two bolts just spin.  The nuts are encapsulated under the deck so will need digging and then making good again.
I have been looking out for some jib winches to replace the old tufnol ones with the built in handles.  Nothing has come up at a reasonable price so I have serviced these ones and pressed them back into service.
Disappointingly the varnish over the epoxy on the locker lids has refused to cure and needs removing.. Ho hum.

Left to do...

  • Make tiller bracket.
  • Anti foul.
  • Stem head fitting.
Lots of other stuff to do but these are the essentials.



2 comments:

  1. ....found that over and over... some projects just catch the imagination, and can push even the essential stuff down the list.. well done on the rudder, but I do like that box! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Steve, I'm sure I've seen a box like that somewhere before ;)

    ReplyDelete