Thursday 19 July 2012

Cowes Raid

A straight forward route with the wind astern.
Saturday:
As an honouree  Fantasie 19 owner (My last boat, Jelly Bean, was a Fantasie 19)  I joined the planned meeting at the Folly Inn.  This had been planned for a while but the great British summer was doing it's best to cancel everything.
I had intended to come back from Alderney via the Solent but as that had already been scuppered I made a late decision to go based on information from WindGuru and the Met office.  The forecast was for F3-F4 from the west on both days, just a bit drier on Sunday.
I slipped the mooring 20mins later than planned, at 0920, listening to the ominous broadcasts of a mayday in progress, a sailing yacht off Portland taking on water,  S&R helicopter performing a hi line rescue.  It wasn't the last serious mayday I would hear this weekend.. The coast guard would be kept busy.
As predicted the wind was from the west, however is was somewhat lighter than expected, I was coasting along at 2 to 3knots. About an hour after leaving the entrance, a rather nasty shower caught me up, it was almost biblical; the scuppers in the cocpit coun't keep up and I was soon splashing around in the cockpit. Fortunately it was short lived and my jacuzzi subsided.
A hurley 20 battling out of  the Solent.

Past Hengisbury head and things started to pick up, I was soon back on track, regularly achieving 5knots.
I had planned to be at Hurst for 1300 and in line with my late departure, I was there at 1320.  Once through the race and I caught my first glimpse of Mudlark flying along the Isle of Wight coast.  I thought she'd be easy to catch but it took me until Yarmouth to get within shouting distance.
I couldn't see the name on the back of Mudlark as she had an emergency ladder pack hanging there but I could see that it started with an 'M' which explained why I wasn't getting a reply on my calls for 'Sapphire' 8O))
Mudlark passing behind the Lymington / Yarmouth Ferry

We sailed the remainder of the solent together, turning to wind to drop the sails just outside Cowes.  Motoring into the Medina we passed the East Cowes ferry, surrounded by police bouts and sniffer dogs being led up the ramp.  The Olympic Torch relay was expected and I assume this was the ferry it would travel on.
Papillon arrived about a hour before us.


Onto the Folly and I spotted Papillon moored on one of the middle pontoons.  I led Mudlark onto the pontoon where Steve greeted us.  It had been quite a long day, about 8 hours, so we had a swift pint aboard Ciao Bella, thanks for supplying the beer Steve,   before having bit of a nap. We'd planned to reconvene at 1930 to get ourselves over to the Folly. I didnt' get much of a nap as Ciao bella needed tidying and also I needed to pull the Nasa log out to clean it. It hadn't worked all day, not surprising as it was covered in slime and small crawly things.
Living slime stops paddle wheel.
This was my first visit to the Folly Inn and I can highly recommend it,  the food was good, service excellent considering the amount of people in there, live music, dancing on the tables... an all round excellent atmosphere.  As well as Steve Shiela and myself (Sorry, two Steve's but as Mudlark Steves email is Sheila, he will forever be Sheila :~)  ) Liam (Hurley 20 owner) and his wife Caroline joined us.  Well I was sat with great company... I just hope the others can say the same :o)
Back on board Ciao Bella with a mug of coffee reflecting on the day.  It's great to organise these things with other people because if you don't, apart from being lonely, you probably wouldn't set off due to the weather.

Sunday:
Into wind all the way home.
I had a great sleep and while laying awake contemplating when to get up Steve wrapped on the hatch and asked if I wanted a bacon roll.... I don't even get this at home!
Pontoon Bistro... you can't beat it.
It felt almost summery, wel at least spring like and the smell of bacon was just the best.   As we all had length journeys home we packed up our stuff and motored away from the Folly back down the Medina to the Solent.  Once at the entrance Papillon headed East back to Emsworth and Mudlark and myself turn right towards Hurst.
Steve on Papillon heading East with the Spinnaker tower on the horizon.
The morning weather was much better than yesterday and Mudlark and Ciao Bella both had full sail up.  We we're able to make big tacks along the Solent and initially made good time but the wind was right on the nose and the tide would turn shortly.  I was concerned about how long it was going to take to get home so hailed Sheila and said that I would have to get going as quick as I could. I wish him a good journey and said goodbye.

Mudlark with Full sail

The nearer I got to Hurst the stronger the wind got, and constantly from the direction that I wanted to go.  I had reduced the genoa by now but still had full main.  I was enjoying the conditions but was concious of time.  I eventually came through Hurst narrows around 1300,  I was over towards the needles side and although this wasn't my usual path I had been here before with no problems.  As I approached Totland, still with two or three meters showing on the sounder I struck something solid, it turned out to be Warden Ledge... Well marked on the chart. It spun the boat round.   I moved out to deeper water, luffed up and went below to check for water ingress.  I'd been lucky, no doubt there will be some grp damage but at least I was not shipping water.  Lesson learn't, keep the charts handy and check for hazards.. I'd had a lucky escape.

As I now wanted to keep closer to shore in-case something suddenly failed, I had to broad reach back across to mainland to avoid the Shingles bank.  As I came back I spotted Mudlark motoring past the Fort.  The incident and having to change course had cost me a lot of time.  
I heard more Maydays in progress,  a yacht had gone aground at Hurst and another Yacht had gone aground and had a fire on board in Chichester... I even heard the French Coast guard coordinating a Mayday but could quite make it out.
From now on it got harder. The wind was dropping but was still on the nose and the tide had started to flow against me now. The course over ground for the tacks was getting ridiculous and one even showed me going backwards. I spent about 2.5 hours trying to sail around Hengisbury head but in the end I had to resort to the engine. Motor sailing against wind and tide is not comfortable and even with the engine on full song I was only making 2 or 3knots at times. I was glad to see the harbour entrance. Once out of the tidal flow the motor revs dropped to a tick over and I slipped through the harbour, between rows of Cornish Crabbers in search of my fourth Fantasie 19 of the weekend. Lady of Ower was sat serenely on her mooring.
That was a hard day and I probably won't plan another trip against wind and tide but I had, on the whole, enjoyed it and it's always good to meet up with fellow sailors and exchange stories.:o)


A collection of video clips from the trip.. I hope you enjoy them.

5 comments:

  1. "I probably won't plan another trip against wind and tide"... amen to that!!! Good old weekend though.... most enjoyable......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, 35 miles (8 hours) out 49 miles (12 hours) back.
    Cheers for the beers :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phil hope to give my dart a blow this weekend,weather has been rubbish so have been sailing odd days on lakes near to home but am getting bit dull with that so unless weather is very poor will be in Poole sat and Sunday .have been entertained by tales of comme ci com sa,cheers ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shhh she's now Ciao Bella :-). Won't be around on Saturday but keep an eye out on Sunday. Will you be sailing in the harbour or out in the bay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weather permiting every where! Plan to put in at knoll beach.I am very pleased with the dart ,very fast.no where to boil kettle though.

      Delete