Monday 23 July 2012

Groovin.. On a Sunday afternoon




As far as chilled out and relaxed goes it doesn't get much more horizontal than my drift around the harbour on Sunday.  We set off from home late morning, stopping at Tesco's for the obligatory pack of Chicken salad sarnies... Far too lazy to make a picnic.
On the boat and I remembered that as well as the main sail being torn at the first reefing point, I had removed the jib sheets as they needed replacing.  Fortunately I'd left the old halyards on-board so a makeshift jib sheet was soon attached. 
So off we set with barely  a breeze and two reefs in the sail 8o)) It was going to be a slow but pleasent journey.  Most boats were heading for the entrance but we struck out for pottery pier, goosewinging our way up the harbour at a breathtaking 2.5knots.
Pottery pier was rammed so we went a bit further round and dropped the anchor away from the hustle.  I nearly put the kettle on but Jewels insisted on having beer instead.  It's hard work all this  sailing lark so after our beer and sarnie it was time for a kip.
It seemed that red sails, in all there sizes, were the order of the day between the islands.  Great to see them drifting by.

Yarmouth 23

Cornish Crabber

Mirror dinghy
After our kip it was time to make our way back.  There was a tad more wind on the way back and we hit a dizzy 4 knots but we were never in danger of spilling our cocktails.
It really feels like summer is actually here.. it better hang around as I'm off the France for two weeks soon and I'd be mighty unhappy if I came back to more of what we've had if the weather had been like this while I was away.

No comments:

Post a Comment