Friday 6 July 2012

Radios, radar and reflection

Last night I found myself  at a strange junction... I had time (every one had gone out) and a weather window, so I took the opportunity to slide on down to the boat.
I had a couple of jobs to do. The VHF needed refitting and also the MMSI number needed to be programmed in.
I had also recently bought a passive radar reflector from the on-line chandlery / junk store that is eBay. This turned out to be a good buy, having read the report into the sinking of the Ouzo after buying this I was glad to read that although none of the radar reflector are great, this one performs better than the tubular ones that I was originally looking at. It's quite large and in good condition. Also, the trick to improving your chances of detection is to raise it in the catch rain position.. I took this to mean with the opening upper most as opposed to pointy end up. Not sure how I'm going to keep it like that with 30 degrees of heel!:)


I considered attaching it to the back stay but eventually plumbed for a line slung over the spreader to hoist it on. I experimented on were to cleat it off.  I eventual decided on using the cleats on the mast as this way it doesn't rub against the shrouds too much. I think judicious use of the guy line while on each tack will be needed to try to keep it in the correct orientation.
I then turned my attention to the VHF, I installed it in minutes and then ran through the private channel selection process to ensure I knew how to do it before needing to do it.


Having done something useful I thought I should reward myself with a pint and a chocky bar while watching the sun go down... Marvellous.

3 comments:

  1. Watch your son (sic) go down on who?? 8o)

    Sorry to hear about Alderney..... fingers crossed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, Bad Typo.. Think I'll change that!:O)

    ReplyDelete