Wednesday 12 June 2013

Saturday social

Saturday was one of my favourite ,Cruise' of the season.  It's not very far or indeed very taxing but it does tend to draw out a few people and is a nice and easy social get together.
The destination was Studland, just out of the harbour.  I got to the club at about 9 ready for a 10am departure. As I was loading the tender one of the other members came back down the pier, he'd been out in the bay already and said that the wind was strong and the moorings at Studland looked really bouncy.  We decided to have a look anyway and if it was too uncomfortable we'd just come back to the harbour and hide behind Brownsea island.
I'd been a bit tom over the previous few days and hadn't been eating so thought it wise to put in a couple of reefs considering the earlier wind warning.  Ciao Bella felt well balanced and the tiller was really light.  The new lower pintle hadn't just been fixed but positively improved.  Out in the Swash channel and the promised wind had legged it so I shook out the reefs and sailed in the company of John with his gorgeous Southerly



John took a series of photos of Ciao Bella as he sailed across, I may be a bit biased but I think they are superb so without apology I'm putting them all in her :)







There were very few boats in the bay when we got there, which was great as it meant we could all pick up Banks Arms mooring buoys.  Although the wind strength had abated, the direction was still making the bay bouncy and I wouldn't have wanted to rely on an anchor to hold while we were away from the boats.
Just having a chill before paddling ashore.
We made our way to the shore and took a walk up to the Banks Arms.  Five boats had come across and a few more members had driven round.  Julie and James also came round by car and wanted to go for a walk so we took a stroll around the headland. It was a beautiful day and I couldn't think of anywhere better to be. 
Back at the pub for more talk of daring do, whippings and splices it was soon time to head back to the boats.
Before coming back I rafted up with Lapwing for a cup of coffee and a chin wag.  Lapwing is a bilge keel Corribee and is one of the boats planning to cross the channel next month.

As we both left the bay at the same time it was inevitable that we'd drop into a competitive sail back.  The Corribees extra length and narrow beam make it just that bit faster, certainly on a beat. It also seems to point a bit better. All in all a fabulous day on the water (Pub garden and footpaths).

2 comments:

  1. You're right - those pictures are superb... would love to see your rudder repair, did you get any piccies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't take any of the finish repair as I was racing against the tide. I did screw up on some of the measurements so it will need modifying again in the winter but it would probably go on forever as it is.
    I've just picked my genoa up from the repairers again... it's not long for this world... better start saving :)

    ReplyDelete