Tuesday 11 June 2013

Splicing evening

This is a little out of sequence, I did have a cracking sail on Saturday but just haven't got around to writing it up. Tonight however, I went to a splicing evening which was organised by the sailing club.   Allan Barwell from Poole rigging services came along armed with plenty of bits of rope for us to practice with.    He started with some basic knots, we all said we could tie a bowline but when he showed us how quick he could tie one we were gobsmacked and all wanted to learn.  A couple more useful knots in the armoury and we moved on to splicing.  Confusion reigned but eventually we all got the basics sorted. I just hope I'll be able to remember next time I try it!. It's a great skill to learn and, apparently, they get neater with practice.  I feel that every line on Ciao Bella will have a loop in the end whether it needs it or not :)
He did bring some Dyneema but decided to leave that for another day as we were clearly not quite ready :0))
My first attempts at splicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment