Friday 24 February 2012

A few more jobs ticked off.

The cockpit drain system is now complete and ticked off the list.  I see there is some debate on various forums regarding whether the hoses should be crossed or lead straight down.
The argument for crossing them is that if the yacht is healed over enough, water can enter the cockpit.  Looking at it it seems unlikely to be a problem on a Hurley 20.  If over that far I would expect the seacocks to be floating clear of the water.  I chose to go straight down as it leaves me with access to the under cockpit area which is where I ntend to store my battery and the floor, seat and paddles for my dinghy.Once I am comfortable with the way she sails I shall sheet in tight, get her leaning right over and see if she ships any water through the leeward scupper.  blimey, that almost sounds like pirate talk. P~} Aharghh

Scuppers and NASA duet display fitted.
Seacocks fully installed and NASA duet paddle wheel fitted.



Position of Seacock skin fitting and Paddle wheel further forward.


I have also fitted the display and paddle wheel for the NASA Duet. I positioned the display under the hatchway.  There appears to be enoungh room to see it past crew members legs if I find some one stupid enough to come sailing with me. I didn't want clutter on the bulkheads as the halyards will be hanging there while sailing and when at rest I like to use the bulkhead as a back up... not very comfy with a display or compass in your back.  The depth transducer fits nicely in the old tube for the seafarer transducer.  I'll have to buy another in hull kit just for the top. Aonghas, I'll post the bits that I don't use for you to use with the seafarer.
Drilling the hole for the paddle wheel was a bit nervy.  It's one of those jobs that you keep looking at and not wanting to start. I positioned it deep in the bilge as that has the best access for maintenence and is also the most ideal place on the outside of the hull. It needs GRP bonding but I shall do that while I'm fitting the rib.
I've also done a load more varnishing, boy I'm glad I haven't got a wooden boat. They look fantastic but I don't believe you would ever get to sail them.

1 comment:

  1. Nice stuff... I'm going to get Pap a depth meter at some point in time, but if I do, for the reasons you describe I'm going to go for a through hull transducer...!

    Still not sure about those bilge drains - I'm aware of the straight versus crossed discussion but I thought the exit had to be above the waterline??

    ReplyDelete