Sunday 19 February 2012

Two steps forward, one step back.



I managed to get out and do a bit today.  The wash boards are now finished save a few coats of varnish.  It was so cold out there this morning that I decided to light some paraffin lamps in the cabin to take the chill off.

 By midday the cabin was toasty warm making it the perfect place to varnish various items. 
 I also finished shaping the locker lids, fitted the battens underneath and applied the first coat of varnish.



The solar panel is attached to the front hatch however I have not fed the cable through yet as I am waiting for Index Marine to get their new right angle cable gland to market.

The rotten rib was next on my list.  I tried several methods of removing it but the most effective method was with a tiny cutting disk on a Dremel.  It sliced through the GRP allow me to chisel out the remaining rotten plywood.
 
On the downside, during my efforts with hammer and chisel it became apparent the the starboard side supports for the cabin sole were also rotten.  I prised them off only to reveal that the upright ply sides also have rot in them.  I will have to cut out the bad areas and let in new ply.  Oh well, that's the joy of old boats.
On the plus side, the weather forecast is for unseasonably warm weather, perfect for fibreglass work.

No comments:

Post a Comment