Tuesday 1 May 2012

Survived the storms

It was a blessed relief today when the sun came out and the EDSC webcam made a rare attempt at working.  Ciao Bella was still sat happily on her mooring.  It's been a rough few days down in the harbour and I half expected a phone call on a few occasions to say that she'd either broke free or been hit by another drifting boat. One day the was a 30 to 40 foot ketch beached in Whitely Lake, the area that the wind surfers and kite boarders use.
On Thursday I had to brave the weather and row out in 24Knot wind with 35knot gusts to secure the main sail which was flogging about.  The sail has sustained some damage just below the head, there are 2 or 3 small rips covering an area of about 6 to 8 inches square.  I will hopefully be able to repair it myself  but if the damage is worse than I thought I will have to remove it and get it repaired properly.  I wasn't in the mood to spend too much time aboard while she was leaping about on the mooring chain.
I'll let you know how I get on with the repairs, in the meantime.. and while the sun is out I'd better have a look at the tender which is still languishing on my front lawn.

2 comments:

  1. Time for another of your excellent boom/sail covers?? Glad she survived though... it was blowing old boots down here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Time for another of your excellent boom/sail covers??" That's what I thought until I saw this...
    http://www.martexmarine.com/mainsail_covers.htm
    That less than it cost me to make my own! They also do spray hoods at a good price. I can't see me getting one this year or next but possibly the year after.
    I went out last night and the line between the chain and the pick up bouy had chaffed through. I always shackle my anchor chain onto the mooring chain but some people don't. It's a worry :~)

    ReplyDelete