Sunday 22 April 2012

Shake down sail


Halyards:
I was up with the sparrows on Saturday.  I needed to change the halyards before I could consider raising a sail.
I took advice from Steve's 'Papilon Blog'  and sewed the old and new halyards together and then pulled the old halyard through.
Fitting the Genoa into the furling gear was a pain in the stern,  The top bearing block got stuck on the pop rivet heads and did not wnt to go up or down! Eventually I freed it and after putting some grease in the runner and ensuring that I had a run up for ever set of rivets, the Genoa was raised and furled.
Bob:
While I was struggling with the roller furler, 'Big Easy' Roger pottered over in his tender to say hello. after a brief chat Rog headed back to Big Easy and I continued effing and Jeffing at the fore-stay.  I heard some one call my name but could see anyone.. then I heard it again and realised it was Rog but I couldn't see him.  That's because he was bobbing about in the water with his life jacket inflated.   I jumped in my inflatable and paddled to his aid.  Unfortunately his boarding ladder had parted company with the boat dropping poor old Rog in the Ogin.  I got him back on board and went to get him some dry clothes from Ciao Bella.
A couple of lessons learn't here..

  • Always wear a life jacket / Buoyancy aid - Well done Rog, I tend not to as they live on the boat but I shall start wearing my dinghy buoyancy aid while ferrying backwards and forwards.
  • Keep some warm dry clothes and a towel on the boat for such emergencies as it gets cold pretty darned quick when wearing wet clothes.
  • Not mentioned previously but Big Easy has twin guard rails which makes impossible to clamber over the coamings, I would remove the lower one.

We're off:
Once I had the sails on and worked out what went where it was time to give her a go.  I had a quick radio check with Roger... Only about 25 metres but at least we know we are both able to transmit. I then slipped the mooring and headed towards to middle of the harbour.  Just then the peace was shattered by a particularly nasty shower,  the rain came down and the wind picked up making Ciao Bella broach.  I tried to furl the Genoa but the furling line had dropped out of the drum and got tangled.  I let the sheet go and headed for open water. Once the wind died down I went forward and untangled the furling line.  I suspect that there is something missing from the furler but for now I can control the way it reels up by keeping some tension on the line while I unfurl the head sail.
After a few tacks and Gybes in the harbour I decided the head onto Studland. EDSC where having a meet there with lunch in the Banks Arms.  Ciao Bella felt fantastic as we sped our way over there.  The Nasa Duet worked a treat, showing the difference between speed through the water and speed over ground.  Fighting nearly 2 knots in the swash and then being carried by 1/2 knot along the training wall.   
Now in fairly  calm conditions, see picture above,  Ciao Bella was making 6 knots most of the way even while towing the tender.
Ciao Bella moored with other EDSC boats.

First mooring:
I was on one of the Banks Arms visitor moorings by 2pm, a touch less than an hour after saying Cheerio to Roger. That's not bad progress. The Banks Arms moorings are a doddle, They have a great big ring sticking up at deck height which is easy to grab hold of and get a line through.
The picture above was taken from Joe's Cafe, I've never stopped there as I'm usually on route to the pub but it does look like a great place to while away some time.  Onto the Banks Arms  and I met up some of the chaps and chapesses from the club.  I had a fab Blue Vinny ploughman's, Blue Vinny is Dorset's answer to Stilton; not as strong but very tasty, and a couple of beers.


The return:
Back on the boat and another shower started, I took refuge in the cabin and was instantly glad that I wasn't making my way through the moorings.  The wind picked up and Ciao Bella swung violently on the mooring. All the surrounding boats were doing the same, switching ends at speed.   The shower was over as quick as it started so after surveying the sky's I slipped the mooring glided back to Poole with the breeze blowing gentle on the port rear quarter.   Much slower on the way back 3 to 4 knots but picking up when I rounded the training wall and reached back to the entrance.
I had only needed to use the engine a few times for manoeuvring but thankfully it started on cue every time.
I have to say, it's nice to be blogging about sailing rather than fixing :~)  Here are a few more pics, just for the sake of it.
Marker for the end of the training wall

A selection of EDSC boats


After the heavy shower

Southerly 35 - An EDSC member

Elizabethan 29 - An EDSC member


HM Customs

Amelie Rose - Hungry sailors fame.



5 comments:

  1. Superb!

    Think your furler is the same as mine - Plastimo 406 - if she is (and I'm pretty convinced) it looks like your missing the arm that attaches to the side of the feeder...

    Full manual here -

    http://www.plastimo.com/pdf/S-Series%28english%29.pdf

    part number is "Reefing Line Adjuster" # 26324

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, yes it is a 406s. Although hard to see in the pic, the adjuster is there. I was reading through this document earlier and it looks like I can adjust the adjuster (the clues in the name :o)) which should help the line coil neatly and stop it dropping of the drum. Have you had a ny problems with yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't adjust my adjuster so I'm not sure we're talking same thing... not the bit that sticks out that the line feeds through a hole in... there is a paddle that is bolted to the side of that..... the paddle ends sits within the two walls of the drum - it keeps the rope on the drum.....

    There is a knack.... I find everything goes much better and more smoothly if you keep a little tension on jib sheets and furling line when either taking in, or letting out..... when letting out pull firmly on the jib sheets, let the furling line feed through your hand so it goes on to the drum in a tigher/controlled manner.... then tie off the furling line to keep the tension on....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes that's the one, however the paddle on mine sits a long way of the drum. The instructions mention that it can be adjusted by loosening two bolts under the drum.
    After some trial and error yesterday I got around to keeping tension on the furling line but it is tricky to get right and takes a bit of practice. I'll have a look at adjustments next time I'm there and let you know how I get on.
    Have you managed to get out on Pap yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound... one of the chaps at the club I know had a similar issue with his sitting off straight and he said he'd managed to adjust his...

    Not got out yet.. was planning to go today but work raised its ugly head.... :o(

    ReplyDelete