Wednesday 20 March 2013

Antifouled


Every body's favorite job.. I've spent all day cleaning the hull and getting the anti foul on.   I had some trouble getting the self adhesive blue line off. It had to come off as the antifoul line needed raising by a couple of inches, unfortunately the glue that was left behind was a pain in the bilge. After trying various strategies I found Turps and a green kitchen scourer worked quite well. 
I alway find it hard to get the line straight, level and even.  I tried using an old mirror gaff (Leaning against the garage) as a level off the trailer and then mark the hull with a marker pen strapped at the right height to a piece of wood. This seemed to be working well until I got to the stern and could see that the line was getting further up the hull.  I assumed that the boat sat at a different angle on the ground than it does in the water.


It was only when I went to remove the snubber to allow me to paint behind it that I realised the weight of the boat was resting on it, once removed, the boat dropped about 2 inches. Had it been sat level on the trailer my line marking technique would of worked.  Still my best guess use of the masking tape seems to have done the job.

2 comments:

  1. There's a view that the boot strap line should rise at the ends rather than be straight - sounds like one for perfectionists - most times if i get it wobble free I'm happy and just don't look too closely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. I soon realised that if it looks ok from 100yards then that's good enough for me :o))

    ReplyDelete