Saturday 7 April 2012

Engine woes and odd jobs

After yesterdays excitement at seeing a regular blue spark from the Tohatsu I launched into stripping the carb and giving it a good clean.  Plenty of carb cleaner and blown through with compressed air. I assembled it back on the engine and then  drained the fuel tank and refilled with fresh fuel
I was fairly confident that it would start.  Not a hope, The spark that I saw last night was when it was dark, in daylight there was no visiable spark I resigned myself to the fact that it must be the exciter coil... there's nothing else to change. 


I had been worried about removing the flywheel as I'd heard you needed a special tool but after a quick inspection I could see how to do it.  The Crank thread sits proud off the flywheel once all the gubbings are removed. I drill an ali plate so that I could screw through to the flywheel with machine screws and then wound some nuts down onto the plate to draw the flywheel off the shaft.  Once tight I had to give it a tap with the end off the ratchet and it sprung off the crank.
The exciter coil is the yellow one, the other is the charging coil.  I'll order a new coil on Tuesday from Holes Bay Marine. If it doesn't work after that I'll eat my hat.
I also did a bit on the electrics today.  I no nailed a piece of mini trunking across the deck support to keep the nav light cable tidy.  Where the Port and Starboard lamp cables meet I have joined them together in a Geewizz ip67  junction box.

The stern light needed remounting as the bracket it was on pointed down and also made it impossible the change the bulb as it fouled under the rail.  I cut a piece of hardwood to the right angle and screwed a 9mm ply plate across to allow the lamp to be screwed to it.  I then drilled an 8mm hole in through the hardwood to allow the cable to exit cleanly.  Getting the cable down through the pushpit rail was a nightmare and took far too long. I had to open up the hole through the deck, I could only do this by taping the trigger on the drill so that it was permenantly on, then with absolutely outstretch fingers I drilled through. I enventually forced it through so that's another job jobbed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh bloody hell... was hoping that was the end of the engine worries.. :o((

    ReplyDelete