Sunday 1 April 2012

Well sparks steam

Saturday was a busy day.  I got up early (ish) and put together a list of jobs to complete.  Foolish I know.


The amount of filler on the starboard side was outrageous, fortunately Roger lent me his belt sander. This piece of kit is more like one of the four horse men of the apocalypse than a tool.
 It ripped through the filler in seconds and I had to be careful not to turn Ciao Bella to dust.
 I linished the filler level with the deck moulding then chiseled the lower chunks off with a hammer and wood chisel.
 The strakes went on easily with my new found techniques.  I have enough wood to finish but will source some more to do the last bit in one length.
 Ed, the previous owner sent me a text to say that he'd raised the lip of the outboard well by 50mm to accommodate his engine. I decided to reinstate the original height.  Unfortunately it's still not low enough for my short shaft so I will have to bite the bullet and get the Tohatsu sorted. I Daren't look at the bank account.
 I cleaned and refitted the rear fair leads, In the mean time I'd enlisted the help of one of my friends  to attack the electrics.


John was a star, raiding his own supply of goodies to bring the electrics up to spec.  The wiring in the boat was in a awful state, some of it had shown signs of it overheating in the past.  All cables are being replaced.  The main switch has been thrown away in favour of an MCB (pictured)
 John also supplied trunking and conduits, the battery box will be fitted to a platform under the cockpit.
The only items on the list not ticked off were the rear stanchion... Ran out of time, and the pushpit rail which didn't need removing in the end as I move the Nav lights to the side of the cabin.  This was for two reasons. 1) it's easy to run the cables here and 2) The way they were positioned it was impossible to change the bulbs. I still need to reposition the stern light as that has the same problem.
 All in all a good days work. I repaid John by supplying food and ale, John then pulled out a bottle of 12year old malt.. The rest is a blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment