Saturday 14 April 2012

She's in part 2

Des came up trumps today, bringing the mighty Land Rover round to tow Ciao Bella down to Baiter park.
We took our time raising the mast and fitting the standing rigging as I hadn't done this before. All went well bar getting the back stay tangled in the spreaders.

I wasn't sure there would be enough water at Baiter to launch but by 5:30 she was afloat, a full 3 hours before high tide.
The outboard started first pull, I motored to a safe spot, dropped the anchor a recovered the trailer. Des cleared up on land while I motored to the mooring.

So first trip of the year.. 25mins on the motor. The rigging is in a poor state. All the running rigging needs replacing and the standing rigging needs new Clevis pins. Regardless, it was great to be out on the water.

6 comments:

  1. You made it - really pleased to see you back out there... good news about the Landrover - you should have given me a shout I was ready to go!

    I'd be worried about that rigging is the rig easy to drop so you can replace the pins on the mooring??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you in the water. Now that you and Papillon are in it makes me feel very guilty i am making such slow progress. So spurred on I will get my finger out and make some progress.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Guys,
    It was great to get her in and I popped by today after classic car duties just to make sure she was still afloat.
    The rig has two lower shrouds and a top shroud so changing the clevis pins one at a time with the mast still up is no problem. In fact having a shroud break on Jelly Bean last year while around the back of the wight I can't see it being a problem even with just one lower shroud.
    Andy, don't feel guilty, you are restoring yours to a very high standard... I'm not. I bought the boat to sail so I do what needs doing to get her in the water each year, hopefully after two or three years all will be exactly as should be... until then there is a lot of making do. For instance the paint finish is horrible but I can live with it for this year... and maybe next if it become apperent that the sails need replacing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb - and my attitude as well... I'm more interested in Pap being sound than pretty....

    Andy - your blog is brilliant - learnt loads from the posts you made - more, please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Phil!
    A fantastic job you've done, much to aspire to. Wish you many happy days sailing.

    Are you still considering going to Alderney in the summer? Would be good to know what's going on with that.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adam, yep still planning to go and have sorted my insurance. Just need to make sure that I'm happy with the boat before committing. I intend to leave on the 13th June and return on the 15th. Be good to sail in to Poole for the Hurley rally rather thanjust be here :-)

    ReplyDelete