Sunday 11 March 2012

The job list is shrinking... but not fast enough!

  1. Replace rotten floor support, repair kick board and replace side stringer.  
  2. Check electrics,  reposition. cable runs and switch panel.
  3. Fit compass (eBay bargain sourced)
  4. Fit VHF radio
  5. Fit Genoa cars and tracks.
  6. Fit headlining properly
  7. make and fit side panels (Window trim).
  8. Design make and fit bulkhead panels / storage / electrical panel for either side of companion way.
  9. Clean and check running rigging
  10. Clean and check standing rigging
  11. Repair bilge pump (Deck plate repair kit bought, will fit in spring)
  12. Anti Foul
  13. Repair/service outboard motor
  14. Clean, repair & paint tender
At the start of today these were the jobs still to do before I can launch Ciao Bella. I have now knocked of 1,3,11 and some of 2 but it's still a long list.

I started with adding another later of GRP to the rib, while this was setting I attacked some of the other jobs.
The mast head lamp connector which had been ripped out of the coach roof was re-assembled and re-attached, I bedded it on... you guessed it, Sikaflex.  I made up a new length of cable from single wires which I twisted together.  Twisted wire had a lesser effect on radios and compasses than standard cable.
Masthead lamp connector re-attached

New wiring twisted to reduce interference.
The next wee job on my hit list was to fit the compass, I bought this some time ago but it was just taking up room in the loft. Now that the display for the Duet had been fitted I decided to fit the compass directly underneath it. This compass has a bracket that allows it to be removed when not in use, I have a spare bracket which I will position under the tiller to give me a choice of positions.
Compass in position
The compass looks a little exposed here, I may add a slide in panel just aft of the compass to prevent it getting kicked.  My next job  to tick off for good was the rudder pintle.  I was originally going to put a bolt all the way through it but as this would potentially let water into the middle of the blade.  The stainless bucket is so substantial that I decided to fill it with Sikaflex and squidge it on... Job done.

Pintle Sikaflexed on.
 Another box that was taking up room in the loft was the bilge pump deck plate repair kit.  This took . ooooh, at least 3 minutes to fit :~)

New bilge pump cover.
The floor support stringers also needed replacing. I used some of the reclaimed hard wood for this and bolted it through rather than use wood screws.  Once attached I mixed up some marine filler and fared in the kick panel repair. It's starting to come together.
Rib, stringers, kick boards and log wheel.
Finally I put another layer of GRP on the rib. The flat parts are covered in woven mat but I used CSM for the base, really soaking it and making sturdy fillets.  I also used this technique on the Nasa log through hull fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment