Saturday 24 March 2012

Up the creek with out a paddle.

I had a little set back this week.  Having connected up most of the electrics I decided to check the Log while it is still on dry land.   I pulled the transducer out of the hull, switch the unit on and gave the paddle wheel a flick.... No reading on the screen.  I then blew across it which made the paddle wheel spin quickly... Still no reading.  I then contacted NASA to see if they could advise on what the problem could be.   I spoke to Rob who was very helpful.  He talked through all the basic connections to ensure that I hadn't done anything daft, he then asked me to measure the resistance across the transducer connector "1.4ohms" I chirped up.  apparently it should be 75ohms, he then asked me to cut 6 inches off the cable and check it again, still 1.4Ohms. I cut about another foot off but it still read 1.4Ohms.  He concluded that the transducer was buggered and I'd have to send it back for replacement.
I have now sent it back to my supplier so am hoping I will get a new one soon.  I'm feeling a bit low at the moment and can't see me getting the boat in the water as quickly as I'd like.  On top off this I still need to get the outboard repaired, buy some antifoul and find someone to tow her and help launch her... All this and the budget disappeared over the horizon some time ago.

2 comments:

  1. Phil - I got a tow bar matey... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, It's a long way to come but if you're up for it, it would be good to see you and I'm sure the pay (Fish & Chips and a pint) would go down well.
    Cheers Phil.

    ReplyDelete